Friday, July 8, 2011

How To Increase Computer Speed IV

Section IV - Spring Cleaning

The final touches on making your PC run smoothly are fairly simple. The first is removing unwanted programs from your startup menu using another tool included in Windows called System Configuration. The second is something you'll want to do manually, but I'll get to that shortly.

System Configuration - You can locate this program quickly by clicking Start, then in the search box typing in "msconfig" without the quotes. When the window opens you will see a window with several tabs. You'll want to select the "Startup" tab. In this tab will be a number of programs that are installed on your computer and have taken it upon themselves to decide to run when you start your machine. Adobe products have a nasty reputation for doing this, so do Apple products such as iTunes and Quicktime. At this point all you really want checked are the essentials. For example, I have my sound card driver, mouse driver, USB driver and video card driver software checked. I don't need the video card software checked but its my preference to do so.



This step is a great trick you can use to make windows start faster.

Lastly, there are cosmetic things we can do just to feel better about the way our desktop looks. I'm a minimalist.



I run with wallpaper and my Recycle Bin. The bin would be gone if I could get rid of it, alas I cannot. This is obviously a matter of preference but I implore you to keep the clutter to a minimum if you can. :)

I hope this short guide is somewhat helpful for anyone who reads it. Again, feel free to email me with any questions and or comments or post them right here on the blog and I will get back to you quickly.

Until next time, keep that PC clean!


Tired of the grind? I was too, get this WoW guide, it helps:

No comments:

Post a Comment